What is SAP ECC?
Short for SAP ERP Core Component, SAP ECC is an on-premises system and quite literally one of the core ERP solutions that SAP provides. It helps large and mid-sized enterprises across the world manage their core business processes, keep track of their resources, and make data-driven decisions.
SAP ECC is used by all kinds of enterprises from across industries, including pharmaceutical, chemical, steel, and fast-moving consumer goods providers. Some of the many popular worldwide businesses that use SAP ECC systems include Walmart, Royal Dutch Shell Group, Whirlpool Corporation, TCS, and Nestle. Forming the foundation of the SAP Business Suite, SAP ECC also includes components, or modules, such as SAP Customer Relationship Management and Supply Chain Management.
What core functionalities does SAP ERP Core Component (SAP ECC) provide?
One of the key advantages of SAP ECC is that it’s a modular system. This means that it can be customized to meet the specific needs of each organization. Designed to improve efficiency, productivity, and profitability by streamlining everyday business operations, some of the key modules of SAP ECC include:
- Finance (FI) - for financial accounting and reporting.
- Controlling (CO) - for managerial accounting, cost center accounting, and profitability analysis.
- Sales and Distribution (SD) - for order management to shipping and invoicing.
- Human Capital Management (HCM) - for talent acquisition, payroll, and employee development.
- Materials Management (MM) - manage procurement and inventory for supply chain optimization.
- Project System (PS) - for project planning and tracking, resource allocation, and cost management.
- Production Planning (PP) - to facilitate production planning and execution for manufacturing.
Apart from these, there are many more modules and functionalities that SAP ECC provides, like Customer Service, Warehouse Management, Quality Control, and even more.
What are some unique benefits of SAP ECC?
SAP ECC plays a pivotal role in the world of enterprise software, and here are some of the advantages it provides that has helped it garner such importance across industries:
- End-to-End Integration: SAP ECC offers end-to-end integration of various business functions including finance, sales, procurement, manufacturing, CRM, and more. This fosters smoother data exchange and enhances collaboration between different departments within an organization.
- Real-time Data Processing: Any data entered or modified within SAP ECC is instantly updated across the system, providing up-to-date information for decision-making processes.
- Real-Time Insights: SAP ECC provides robust reporting and analytics capabilities that provide real-time insights into key performance indicators (KPIs). These insights assist businesses in making informed decisions, identifying trends, and identifying areas for improvement.
- Scalability and Flexibility: Whether you're a mid-size enterprise or a global corporation, SAP ECC’s modular structure allows customization to cater to specific needs, wherein businesses can add modules as they grow.
History of SAP ECC
Launched in 2004, as part of the SAP Business Suite, SAP ECC was a newer version of its predecessor SAP R/3, and it introduced a new architecture change. The SAP Business Warehouse, SAP Strategic Enterprise Management and Internet Transaction Server were also merged into SAP ECC, allowing users to run them under one instance.
The Future of SAP ECC
As technology evolves, SAP ECC is gradually making way for SAP S/4HANA, which offers advanced features and an enhanced user experience. However, SAP ECC is slated to be supported until 2027, allowing organizations to transition smoothly to SAP's newer solutions. Migrating to S/4HANA offers long-term benefits and keeps businesses future-ready.
While SAP ECC provides great integration capabilities within its internal ERP modules, it lacks integration capabilities to connect with e-commerce software. Want to swiftly integrate SAP ECC with e-commerce, PIM, CRM, WMS, POS, and more applications? Simply install the web services or API points your ERP lacks with the Alumio API Plugin for SAP ECC →